Thursday, January 3, 2008

Commute 1/3/08

Time of departure: 6:50
Temperature: 22F

I knew the ride would be a little rough this morning when I headed out the door carrying the bike and the cold was a little painful. I'm going to have to figure out something for my ears. The do-rag and slight bit of hair that's grown back in since I stopped shaving kept my head from hurting, but my ears feel like they froze. Next ride I'll probably try to pull the do-rag over them just to see if it helps.

I need to check the brake adjustment. Coming down the one main hill that I have (which runs close to half of the wee little commute) I just was not slowing down, with both brakes applied full-tilt. It may be that the cable on the drum brake has stretched a little and just needs to be retightened. I'm not too surprised about the slip on the rear - that one never catches very well and with the cold, semi-moist air it was just about worthless. Either way I'll be playing with both of them tonight.

The ride home is going to be a little bit longer than normal. Instead of a straight shot like I normally take I have to make a detour to a package shipping place to send my little brothers' gifts out (yeah, I'm that late) and then up to Hopkins to have coffee with a former co-worker. If the temp is anything like now the coffee will be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment