Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Muddy Angels

Since I used yesterday's post to talk about Susan's cancer battle I figured I'd keep the trend going and talk about another "cycling for a cause" topic. This is one I didn't even know about until I attended the national Medical Reserve Corps meeting a few weeks back. It's the National EMS Memorial Bike Ride. It takes place 5/17-23 and there are two different routes:
  • NYC - Roanoke, VA
  • Somerset KY - Roanoke, VA
There is a third ride, the Louisiana EMS Memorial Bike Ride taking place 5/9-10 which runs from New Orleans to Baton Rouge.

The rides are about honoring EMS personnel who have been injured, become ill, or died in the line of duty. They encourage people to make the full 7-day, 600 mile ride, but it is also possible to do just one or a few sections, register as support, or donate.

I am a former EMT. I never worked on a rig, but provided medical support in a couple of different places. I wish I could take the time to do at least part of the ride but I'll actually be hosting my dad and younger brother during the ride. I do intend to sponsor though, and I hope that others will as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment