Monday, February 4, 2008

Sheldon Brown: 1944 - 2008


"I have always loved riding bicycles,especially for the feeling of freedom and self-sufficiency that they give." Sheldon Brown

When I started my afternoon blog-crawl I found a story that stopped me cold. Sheldon Brown has passed away. For those who have never heard the name, you have missed out on one of the greatest members of the cycling community. In addition to creating some of the most experimental bikes around, as well as fantastic new must-have products for cyclist, Captain Bike maintained a massive database of information on almost every conceivable bike topic.

I first discovered the articles when my buddy Slav came back from his first bike tour and infected me with the desire to go on one. Not knowing much I typed "bike touring" into Google and one of the pages that came back was Sheldon's. After that I started to notice references to him on BikeForums on a pretty regular basis and eventually realized that some of the archived posts I was reading had been written by him. The cycling world has lost a great man and I hope his family and friends can take comfort in knowing just how many people's lives he touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment