Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Random bike-spotting (4 in a series)

Today's "bikes in life" comes from a while back. It actually has me a little puzzled, but more on that in a minute:


I've seen that quote attributed to two different people. One, the link above, is Geoffrey Chaucer in the Canterbury Tales. The other is comedian Billy Connolly. My confusion here is over the age of the bicycle (~1816) and the writing of the Canterbury Tales (~1380-1400). I'll freely admit I have only read sections of the Tales, in senior English in high school, so I have no idea what context the quote is in, or if it is a modernized translation. (My reference for citing it here is the great Short Attention Span Philosopher podcast from Roy Trumbull, followed up by some Googling). Whoever said it, it qualifies as a bike reference in a non-bike setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment