Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Random bike-spotting (3 in a series)

Today's "bikes in life" might be a little bit of a stretch, but I think it's worth a mention anyway.

REI is my toystore. I spend too much time and too much money there. When I was looking at getting into touring I checked out some of the Novara bikes for the OTS option before finding the LHT frame I wanted. Now REI is taking their support of bike commuting from being a supplier of cool toys to something more.

Recently REI launched "Bike Your Drive", a website loaded with utility/commuter information including:
  • Cycling myths exposed - what it sounds like
  • An interactive parts guide
  • How-to videos
  • and of course - links to gear and classes available at your local REI
The site is also tied into the Green Bike Project which is a project aimed at getting more people to bike commute by offering commuter-equipped bikes for people who pledge to shift 60% of their commutes to cycling.

Like I said - the REI site is on the edge of non-cycling specific. In this case I chose to view it as a major company using its clout to encourage more people to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment