Monday, May 3, 2010

Crossfit?

I've been swapping emails with my brother, he of the Panama City Beach Iron Man, and he's been recommending that I look into Crossfit as an alternative to the standard gym-based or private coaching. I know a little about it, and know that he (and my sis-in-law) have been working out with a guy who based his program on it, but that's about it. When I did some digging I discovered an affiliate about a half mile from my office and another about two miles from my house. Neither of those is far enough away to pose an obstacle and now I'm intrigued.

Anyone have any experience with Crossfit that they want to share?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any experience with the organized CrossFit specifically. I know that CrossFit advocates a paleo-style diet which I do follow and has netted me a loss of about 25 lbs since Xmas (with 0 exercise I might add).

    CrossFit started out as a group that advocated home workouts; DIY stuff. Lots of body weight movements; the use of gymnastic type equipment combined with traditional movements. Like suspending rings from the ceiling on chains and using them to do pushups. Similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIfBrA6HMM

    I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage and will be converting it into a crossfit-style home gym soon. As for the CrossFit organization and what it has become, I still think it is a good thing. They emphasize whole body conditioning, big compound movements, and functional fitness. Most people I know that have tried it end up vomiting their first time out, but nearly every one went back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that's about what I thought. The program my brother has been doing is a DIY-type, lots of sandbag moving, tire pushing, etc which is what I'm looking for. VERY tired of weight room workouts.

    ReplyDelete